Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Thrift store haul// Gold giraffe and Rattan

Hey guys :)
I know when you begin your journey into thrifting, it can seem a little daunting, especially when you don't know what to look for or where to begin.
Most thrift stores are awash in vases, candle sticks, fake flowers, and hideous clothing; so you have to really look to find the good things.
The best part is when  you find those things. It's almost like a treasure hunt, and you just want to show off your scores!

Here are some of my finds from this week:
When I go thrifting, normally my mentality is something along the lines of 
'If I saw this at Target, would I buy it?'
For those two giraffes, it was a resounding YES!
They are lovely, and incredibly tall. Perfect for holding bracelets or just hanging out sniffing my flowers.
-Plus, they help fuel my brass animal addiction-

I also spied those flowers hiding in the back of the bin. I know that fake flowers that size and quality normally run around $5 each at the craft stores, so at $1 for the bundle, it was a no brain-er. They instantly spring-ified our livingroom. Its amazing how much a little bit of greenery can change things!

I also found that beautiful gold trivet. We needed one anyways, but I think the hardest part is going to be not hanging it on the wall!

I also snagged some books from one of my favorite stores.
These were picked because of their entertaining titles or their actual use.
My favorites are:
It could have been a kumquat
How to get along with people
The 'adjustable' diet cookbook
I don't know what an 'adjustable' diet is, but it sounds fun!

Check out this bad boy right here.
For our wedding we are collecting hundreds of vintage teacups to turn into candles.
Someone else must have had the same idea, because these are wonderful. I think they went for a lilac scent as well, and they work fantastic in my office. :)



(please excuse Bandit the dog photobombing my pictures ^^)
And finally, what I am the most excited about, this rattan chair.
 Its similar to this one found on Amazon, but it was only forty bucks!
I will keep you posted on what happens with him, but I am taking ideas for what color the cushion should be.

Are you a fan of keeping rattan natural or painting?

All of these finds typically come from one of the four stores in my 'Thrift store rotation'
One is good for furniture
One is good for knick knacks
One for dishes and books
And the last one is usually a suprise. Never know what I will find there!

What kind of things have you found in thrift stores?
Do you have a rotation as well?



Well, that's all for today folks.
As always,


1 comment: