Thursday, April 10, 2014

DIY owl bookends

Hey ya'll
So the other day as I was browsing the internet, I saw these handsome things.
I don't know about you, but I am still totally in love with the owl trend, even if it is getting a little old.
I adore those book ends, but not the price tag attached.
So, a quick nip off to my favorite thrift stores and I made my own!


So, first off, You need to find two owl statues.
It doesn't matter the shape they are in or the color, so long as you like them
It helps if they are pretty solid ceramic or stone, because they are going to be holding up some books of course!
Supplies you will need include:
A spray primer (I used rustoleum white)
Spray paint of your color choice (I used rustoleum satin heirloom white)
Felt
And two owls

Here is a before of the little owl. He had some goofy eyes and the paint on him was chipped and cracked.
Not anymore!

Before you begin, set up the area where you will be painting.
If it is outside, you will need some nice weather and not much wind.
If it is inside, make sure all surfaces are covered in case of overspray, and open all the windows and doors.

Begin by spraying on your primer.
I love this one because it works on pretty much anything, and it lasts forever. 
 I only did one coat of the primer.
Hang out and let that dry.

After your primer has dried, spray on your spray paint with nice even strokes.
I did one coat of the Heirloom white because I wanted some of the age to show through and give it depth.
If you want it just solid, wait a while and do a couple more coats.

Both of my owls already had felt on the bottom, but if they don't already have it, you will want to hot glue a piece to the bottom to protect your furniture from scratches.

And just like that, you're done!
Its up to you if you want to spray on a finish, but for little things like this, I normally just let it be.




Happy crafting!

Till next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment