Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Shell chair makeover

Hey everyone!
So I am super excited to share this with you today.
If you follow me on instagram, you may have seen this sad little creature when I brought him home from craigslist.
The craigslist ad showed a blurry picture with the chair and base intact, and said it was a vintage Eames chair. I was beside myself with excitement, and dropped everything and ran over there.
Upon arrival, a young guy came out with both pieces separate.

"Yeah, in the ad I forgot to mention it was in two pieces. But we love this chair, it works just fine like this"

I didn't want to leave empty handed, so I forked over my forty bucks and shoved it into the back of our little car.

When I got home, I had a chance to look more closely at it. The metal base was rusted, and the whole thing smelled like seaweed. It looked like someone had marked up the seat with sharpie, and there were no screws to put it back together.
I was a little frustrated, and was worried that I had wasted my money.
So I stuck it into our storage room for a week while I figured out what to do with it.

And here is the new version:


(Yes, that is a fish tank on our patio)

I am in love with it. The red back gives it just enough pop with our other chairs, and it works really well at the head of our table.

It ended up not being an Eames chair at all, but actually a chrome craft chair. 
I don't mind, I love how comfortable it is, and it was still super inexpensive.

To connect the base with the chair, I ended up using some simple superglue. I was going to test it out first, and so far it hasn't failed. 
I suppose if someone sits on it and it collapses it will make for a good story, eh?

As always,






No comments:

Post a Comment